Friday, August 10, 2007

What Defines You?

Today, I was thinking as I was channeling surfing and came upon one of those "reality" talk shows (think Maury or Jerry Springer.) And I stated to think - what would be my focus if I ever went on one of those? Or if anyone ever asked me, "So, tell me about Carol." Where would I start? I mean, we all wear different hats - that's what makes life interesting.

So, who am I? I'm a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a daughter-in-law, an aunt, a friend, a school teacher, an interpreter. I'm a lot of different things, but none of those things define me. The one that may come closest to defining me is a Christian. I've been a Christian now for almost 30 years. So much of my life has been shaped by my relationship with God - whether I was running away from Him or running to Him.

Here's what I DON'T want to define my life - FOOD and my relationship to it. I'm sure there are many people who see food as fuel to do the tasks of life. They enjoy what's offered but food is not a controlling factor in their lives. I think when I get to that point - when following GOD'S plan for my life becomes more important than anything else - then ... Well, actually I don't think I'll ever get there. This life is a journey, but that is the goal I want to walk toward. Every step I take I want to be in the direction of pleasing God by honoring Him with my choices of thought and behavior.

No comments: