Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Five Pivotal Moments

So, I'm reading this book that my friend Wendy lent me (thanks, Wendy!) I will post its title another time, but it's an eclectic mix of thoughts, songs, and writings from Amy Grant. It gives a peek into her life and some of the inspirations for her songs. In one section, she writes about the pivotal moments in her life. It made me wonder: what would be the five I would choose?

Here are my first thoughts - not well-thought out and developed and I may change my mind later. Just for today...

1. My mother's death - she died of cancer when I was eight, and the dynamics of what happened in our family were forever shaped by this fact. It has given me an experience that is not the norm, and I have been able to use that experience to minister to several families where the parent has died with a young child at home. Biggest lesson learned: record memories and thoughts so the child will have a sense of who the person was. I didn't get that...

2. Becoming a part of a blended family. After my mother's death, my father remarried and I gained a stepmom, two stepsisters, and three stepbrothers. The experiences we had and still have shape my life even today.

3. Becoming a Christian. At the age of 13, I heard the message of Christ's love and was baptized. Becoming a part of His kingdom has been the deciding factor in many life choices. I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds MY future.

4. Becoming a wife. Although it is a life long process of learning, I am learning how to love my husband with Christ's love.

5. Becoming a mother. My two boys are precious to me. It has been life-changing for ME to see the decisions that their father and I make played out in the development of their lives. I am proud of the young men they have become and I look forward to what the future holds.

Looking at this major list, it is amazing to think the daily instances attached to these things that have woven together to make me who I am. I am amazed at God's providence and I see His hand all around me.

No comments: