Saturday, February 17, 2007

Driving Lessons for Whom?

Okay, it was time to take D out on the road to get a little feel for driving on snow and ice. Our driveway and road are gravel so he drove out on them, practicing braking and feeling what happens when the tires start spinning. Going very slow, did fine.

The main roads are clear so the trip to the gas station to pick up a newspaper and diet Coke went fine. On the way back, I made D drive down a side road to get some more practice on the snowy roads. Then he pulled into a driveway to turn around.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Bet he got stuck in the driveway. I bet even Carol tried to get it out and it wouldn't come because it was stuck, spinning..."

Oh, come on! Do you think I would let something like that happen?

Okay, it did. So here I am blocking SOMEONE ELSE'S driveway and can't get out.

Friendly mail carrier with chains to lay on the ground and a push by the man in the driveway helped us get out. By this time, I was in the driver's seat and no one knew it had been D driving.
And D - to his credit - did not once say, loudly, "Gee, MOM! Thanks a lot for the driving lesson. This lesson was how to get stuck in the snow. When's the lesson on how to get out - next week?"

He said he thought it but didn't say it. The kid's learning some self control. LOL

Interesting little trip.

2 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Indeed, I remember these days, nothing I'm eager to repeat! Clairol makes a product for mothers who endure this...

Shelina said...

Oh my, everybody get off the road NOW - D is driving!

I think you did fine. This was a learning experience, and sometimes you, ahem, I mean he, has to learn things the hard way. LOL