Sunday, April 22, 2007

Relationship - vs. Religion

Wow, over in Shelina's post of Sunday, she asks some intriguing questions. She probably thinks I already answered them - LOL! But I was never one to keep quiet... (was I as talkative in college, Shelina?)

Anyway, I have taken the liberty of copying some parts of Shelina's post to help in people understanding my comments. My passion is my relationship with God. I dislike at times calling it a religion, because sometimes that word brings to mind meaningless rituals, devoid of deep meaning and relationship. Through the Old and New Testament, I am given a glimpse into the nature of the Creator of the world and of mankind. Believing the Bible to be the infallible Word of God, I trust its truths that are presented.

When I became a Christian at the age of 13, I began an intimate relationship with God because His Holy Spirit is now dwelling in me (Acts 2:38.) That relationship has been what has sustained me through the hard times and the good times in life.

At times, that relationship became a "religion;" I went to church because it was the right thing to do - even when the passion waned. Faith in God cannot be based solely on feeling; faith is not feeling - it is fact. If I did not believe the Bible to be true, then my relationship with God is built on a lie and - to me - it becomes useless. In times of doubt and uncertainty, I KNOW that God is there, even when I can't feel Him.

Okay, so obviously I'm passionate about my relationship with God :) .

And trying to convert someone? Well, if you knew for a fact that a bridge down the road from you had collapsed, leaving a horrific drop-off into a raging river - wouldn't you do everything in your power to stop the traffic from traveling down that road? You'd barricade the road, or stand waving your arms, screaming, "Stop!! The bridge is out! If you go down this road, you are going to DIE!"

That's why believers try to "convert" - it's why we share our faith. If we stood by silent (as I have done at times,) we see people heading for disaster - when perhaps we could have made a difference.


Alright - I wonder if these blogs have a word limit? Next topic: the deceased...

No comments: